Friday, September 17, 2010

2010 - The year it became fashionable to do good

As we welcomed 2010, the year of Africa's first ever Soccer World Cup tournament, all eyes turned to the countdown of what is the world's most watched event. As a nation, our focus and energy turned to nation branding and nation building. But the months leading up to June 2010 were uncertain as we battled our own doubts and European tabloid newspaper reports of "machete-wielding gangs". We battled predictions that crime would make it the most dangerous World Cup yet. We battled reports of low foreign ticket sales and empty stadiums. But as you well know, we surprised the world and ourselves, and FIFA President, Sepp Blatter gave us a 9/10 rating for our hosting success.

But something else happened; something which wasn't predicted or prophesied. The World Cup created a tipping point for many in our country. But it's not a tipping point that political analysts or economists are able to quantify, or will even talk about. It's the tipping point that has mobilised the real South African citizen in the movement for good (I say "real" because there are many who claim to own South Africa but don't know a thing about being citizens).

It wasn't only government who made the World Cup a success. It was the 15 000 citizens who volunteered. It was the construction workers who built the stadiums, the men who built the Gautrain, the hospitality industry staff who made tourists feel welcome, the everyday South Africans who were friendly and accommodating wherever they encountered foreigners, and the taxpayers who paid the billions to host the Cup.

South Africans experienced patriotism like they hadn't felt in years, or maybe ever. The camaraderie and shared experiences of ordinary citizens gave strangers a sense of belonging and left us with the realisation that we are able to achieve what we set our minds to. The world gushed about 'ubuntu' ("I am what I am because of who we all are") as we marvelled that not all is 'doom and gloom' in South Africa. Our new self-image and the positive media reports boosted our confidence. The South Africa citizen could say, "I can make a difference".

Following on from there, we have seen a movement for good spreading throughout the country, so much so that it has become fashionable to do good. The launch of LeadSA on August 4th has seen some 20 000 South Africans signing up to the Facebook page within the first two weeks. During August's three week public sector strike action that brought hospitals and schools to their knees, South Africans came out in numbers to assist (http://bit.ly/cTsTG5). I loved that for the first time ever, I had a compelling sense of urgency, rather than a nagging sense of obligation, that I was needed by my country and I was able to volunteer after mobilising some non-medical friends like myself, via Facebook.

And there's more coming: Heartlines' much-anticipated Forgood platform that aims to mobilise citizens through a "Facebook with a purpose" is being launched before the end of September. A "Bless the City" initiative, organised by Christians in Johannesburg for the weekend of 12-14th November, is an opportunity for citizens to initiate or join projects and activities that will impact the city for good.

A personal example I have, also speaks of this "for good" wave: I am being featured in the November 2010 edition of Oprah magazine where I have the opportunity to share on "How I LeadSA" - sharing how I, an everyday South African, do my bit for my country, not how I keep fit or how I build my success! Never would I have imagined that doing good would become quite so fashionable.

Studies have shown that the people who suffer the least depression and hopelessness in life are those who give of their time to help others. Personally, getting swept up in the movement for good has given me a new passion in life. I'm a multi-tasker and have always wanted to connect my work with exercising my faith at a grassroots level and the movement for good has finally made this sense of duty a reality. My journalism career is now feeding into nation-building activities and I am able to give around one day per week to serve my city. I am stronger, more focused, more diligent than before and I have a new sense of calm in my career as I've discovered what motivational speakers call the "sweet spot".

A country where it's "each man for himself" leaves each of us powerless to overcome our challenges. But who knows what good is to come of all we're investing - if we can ride this wave long enough, "for good" may very well become more than just a fashion trend.

by Julie Cunningham Editor: SA - The Good News

No comments:

Post a Comment